This department, which is a part of the Accounting, Auditing and Budget Services,
ensures that Canyons District employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
Upcoming pay days are February 15 and February 28
Federal tax changes have been applied beginning with your February 15 paycheck.
Please contact your tax professional for any tax advice.
Payroll - When Do I Get Paid?
July 13, 31
Aug. 15, 31
Sept. 15, 29
Oct. 13, 31
Nov. 15, 30
Dec. 15, 29
Jan. 12, 31
Feb. 15, 28
March 15, 30
April 13, 30
May 15, 31
June 14, 28
True Time/Hourly Pay Dates:
- What if I’m retiring this year?
- Janet Ekenstam 801-826-5368
- Utah Retirement Systems 801-366-7770
- How do I contribute to my 401K? Utah Retirement Systems
- What are my 401K/403B contribution limits?
- What 403B companies can I use? CLICK HERE for a list of approved vendors
- How much do I have in my 401K account? Utah Retirement Systems
Tax Changes (W-4)
- Where can I find a W-4 form? Download the W-4_2017.pdf
- How can I change the amount of taxes withheld from my check? Fill out a new W-4 and submit to the payroll office by the 10th of the month to be in effect by the 25th of the month, (payday).
- Can someone help me fill out my W-4? We cannot advise you on tax matters or instruct you on filling out the form. Please refer to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS.gov) Tax Tables or to the Utah State Tax Commission (tax.utah.gov) or consult a tax professional.
Year-end Tax (W-2)
- When will I get my W-2? W-2 forms will be available the last working day of January.
- How do I print out my W-2? You can print your W-2 by using Skyward Employee Access. CLICK HERE for more information
- What if I still want my W-2 printed and mailed to me? If you do not designate a preference on Skyward Employee Access, the W-2 will be mailed to you. Be sure the Human Resources department has your current address information.
- How do I choose to receive my W-2 electronically? You can choose to print your W-2 electronically by using Skyward Employee Access. CLICK HERE for more information.
All hourly employees use Skyward/True Time to enter hours for payment of work provided.
- Log into Skyward Employee Access (User name and Password-do not share with anyone.)
* For Login or computer issues (Login won’t work, etc), call the IT Helpdesk 801-826-5544
* For Payroll issues (timesheet problems, etc), call Payroll 801-826-5595
- Submit your Time Sheet weekly. After you clock out on Friday, click on the “View/Submit” button and submit your timesheet. If you don’t work on Friday, submit on the last day of the week that you work. If the month ends in the middle of the week, DO NOT submit your timesheet until Friday, regardless of the day. You WILL NOT be able to clock in the rest of the week if you submit your timesheet before Friday.
- Approvers must approve timesheets weekly. If your timesheets are not submitted and approved by the time we run Payroll, you WILL NOT be paid until the following month. We DO NOT contact you concerning unsubmitted or unapproved timesheets.
How do I fill out a timesheet? Paper Timesheet Guidelines
When are timesheets due? Timesheets should be filled out and handed in to your school or department secretary on the last working day of the month
What is my hourly rate? This information is available via Skyward Employee Access. For instructions CLICK HERE
Which timesheet should I use? Please see information below...
- If I am a contracted bus driver working regular hours over my contract? Download TRANSPORTATION_Regular_Timesheet (Under 40 hrs)
- If I am a contracted bus driver working overtime hours (Over 40 hours)? Download TRANSPORTATION_Overtime Timesheet
- If I am a contracted bus driver working a field trip? Download TRANSPORTATION_Field_Trip_Timesheet
ESP Contracted Employee (Administrative Assistants, Custudial Staff or Nutrition)
- If I am a contracted worker and I have extra hours to be paid (Under 40 hours)? Download Canyons Timesheet
- If I am a contracted worker and I have extra hours to be paid overtime (Over 40 hours)? Download Overtime Timesheet
Licensed Contracted Employees and Coaches
- If I'm a teacher and I'm going to extra classes, seminars and workshops? Download Stipend Timesheet
- If I'm helping with high school after-hour activities? Download High School After-Hour Activities
- If I'm a coach?
- Download Stipend Timesheet
- What if I don’t have a bank account? Jordan Credit Union will open a new account for any district employees
- How do I find the direct deposit form? Direct_Deposit_Authorization_Form_2016.pdf
- What if I want to deposit money into different accounts? You may designate up to two accounts. The secondary must be an exact dollar amount, for instance, a car payment, etc.
- I’ve changed banks. How do I update my information with the district? All changes must be submitted to the payroll office by the 10th of the month to be effective by the 25th of the same month. Fill out a new Direct_Deposit_Form
- What if my account has been compromised three days before payday? Come into the Payroll office immediately and we will delete your direct deposite information and issue you a check on payday.
- You can only use 5 per year
- If you use a Personal Day one of the first 5 days of the school year (it Will Be docked as a no-pay day-See Policy)
- If you use a Personal Day one of the last 5 days of the school year (it Will Be docked as a no-pay day-See Policy)
- Before and after a holiday
* Any days used before or after a holiday without the Holiday Option Lottery or an excused event (wedding, graduation) will be docked at the cost of a long term sub (Certified $103) or 40% of your daily rate (Classified).
* HR manages the Holiday Option Lottery (see HR website for form). They will notify you if you are able to use your personal day before/after a holiday.
Alternative Days will be charged:
- Certified: Cost of a long-term sub ($103)
- Classified: 40% of your daily rate
Family Sick and Sick days
- All sick days are accrued as Family Sick
- Any family sick not used at the end of the year roll to Sick leave
- Please refer to the following policies: Sick Leave Instructional Staff and Sick Leave Support Staff
Summer 10-hour days (when applicable)
- All summer days off need to be entered as 1.25 days
If you do not have a "Time Off" button and you need one, contact HR 801-826-5500
For Step By Step Instructions on Entering Time Off- CLICK HERE
Skyward Employee Access Information
If you have forgotten or need help with your user name and password contact the IT Help Desk 801-826-5544
- How do I print my paycheck stubs?
- Can you mail or fax me my paycheck stub?
- What is my hourly rate?
- Where can I see and print my W-2?
- What lane and step am I currently on?
All of these questions and more can be answered by following the simple instructions in the "Employee Access Quick Reference Handbook" Download Employee_Access_Quick_Reference.pdf
- I’ve taken extra classes. Do I qualify for an increase? Please contact HR for all inquiries concerning pay increases. 801-826-5500
- How do I request a day off? CLICK HERE- Time off is only available to full-time contracted employees for the following:
- Family or sick leave should be used first.
- Vacation can be used at any time with supervisor approval.
- Personal leave can not be used before or after a holiday, or on the first and last five days of school
- Please see the Time Off tab for further information
Q: How will summer feed hours be paid with semi-monthly pay and True Time?
A: Summer feed are True Time hours. They will be paid according to the True Time pay schedule starting July 1st. If the employee is contracted too, they will receive 3 paychecks in July and August...True Time and the Contract Pay.
Q: When will the stipend for licensed technicians be paid?
A: It will be paid the last payday in November.
Q: How will my paper timesheets or stipends be paid when we are paid semi monthly?
A: You will be paid the last payday of the month we receive the paper timesheet. All paper timesheets received in the payroll department by the second buisness day of the month should be paid by the last payday of the same month we receive it. (Pending Area Approval)
Q: When does the semi-monthly pay begin?
A: Semi-monthly paydays for 242 and 245 day contracts will begin in July
Semi-monthly paydays for 206 to 216 day contracts will begin in August
Semi-monthly paydays for 149 to 196 day contracts will begin in September
Payroll Quick Reference
- Payday is the paid twice a month: the 15th and the last day of the month—new teachers, bus drivers, and nutrition employee’s first paychecks are September 15th every year.
- Any changes to your paycheck (W-4, Direct Deposit, 401K) to Payroll by the 7th and 22nd of the month to be included in the next scheduled Pay Day.
- True Time timesheets are submitted every Friday.
- ESP Employees are responsible for entering their own time-off in Skyward (Certified teachers are entered through AESOP).
- Absence/Attendance Incentive is a District bonus paid in July when 2 or fewer absences are taken. It is available to Teachers and ESP/Classified, but not to Admin.
* For the 2017 Absence Incentive - You will be paid in at the end of July when you are paid your contract.
- Skyward Employee Access contains all personal information about the employee. Items such as check stubs, W-2’s, current and past pay rates, monthly pay amount, current direct deposit bank account, and current W-4 elections can all be found here.
- Remember contract pay is spread over 24 pay periods (including summer months for 180 day contracts). If an employee starts in the middle of the school year, their semi-monthly pay will be calculated based on the number of days they will actually work, then divided by the remaining pay days in the contract year.
- For more information CLICK HERE
Canyons Payroll Department
Main #801-826-5595 / Fax 801-826-5385
Shana Lowe 801-826-5424
Shannon Mortensen 801-826-5433
Janet Pearson 801-826-5342
Kathy Aitken 801-826-5326
Lana Deuel 801-826-5513
Where do I find my Employee ID?
- In your browser, go to skyward.canyonsdistrict.org
- Click on Employee Access
- Enter your Login ID and Password
- Click the Sign in button or press the Enter button
- Click on the Employee Information button
- Under Employee Information, click on Personal Information
- Your Employee ID is displayed under Custom Forms
- Click the link for Employee ID. Your name and Employee ID will be displayed.
For step by step instructions concerning "Employee Access Quick Reference" CLICK HERE
Voluntary Payroll Deduction
- What if I want to stop having a voluntary deduction taken from my check? Contact the payroll office at 801-826-5595 and we will advise you
School Secretary Resources
- Loaded Salary Worksheet 17-18
- Timesheet Payment by School Form Program 9800 17-18
- True Time Approval
- Semi Monthly Schedule 2017-18
- Inservice Rate 2017-18
Main Number (801) 826-5595
|Shana Lowe||(801) 826-5424|
|Shannon Mortensen||(801) 826-5433|
|Kathy Aitken||(801) 826-5326|
|Janet Pearson||(801) 826-5342|
|Lana Deuel||(801) 826-5513|