Open Enrollment for Schools

School Choice: Open Enrollment for Schools

Students who wish to attend a school other than their neighborhood school—the one assigned to them by geographic boundaries—may apply to transfer to another school by submitting an Open Enrollment request online.

School transfers are approved when space is available and on a first-come, first-served basis, and parents can submit an application online, from the comfort of their home or office.

In Canyons District, there are two open enrollment periods: Early Open Enrollment and Late Open Enrollment. The Early Open Enrollment period is the recommended time to enroll for the next school year. Late Open Enrollment is generally, but not always, for the current school year and may be applied for at any time.

Open Enrollment The Open Enrollment period extends from Dec. 1 through the third Friday in February each year. Approved transfer requests shall become effective the following school year, beginning on the first day of school. 

Late/Provisional Enrollment The Late or Provisional Enrollment Period Transfer Requests can be filed at any time. Approved transfer requests shall become effective the following school year or the current year, as indicated on the request form. 

Once a school administrator approves a transfer permit, the permit will renew automatically every year thereafter as long as the student remains at the same school and their permit is not revoked. Permits must be renewed when a student advances from elementary to middle school or from middle school to high school.

Open-enrollment permit requests can be submitted at most CSD schools. The exceptions are Corner Canyon High and Willow Springs Elementary, which have been placed on moratorium status by the Canyons Board of Education. This means students who don’t live within the schools’ boundaries, if they aren’t already enrolled, won’t be allowed to enroll for the coming school year.

The school administrator of the requested school shall accept the transferring student subject to the following:

  1. Space, staff, and programs are available to accommodate the student.
  2. The student has not committed serious infractions of the law or school rules, including rules of the requested school/district.
  3. The student has not been guilty of chronic misbehavior which would, if it were to continue after the student was admitted, endanger persons or property, cause serious disruptions in the school, or place unreasonable burdens on school’s staff.
  4. The school administrator may allow provisional enrollment of a nonresident student with prior behavior problems when conditions have been set under which the student would be permitted to enroll or continue.
The school administrator shall provide notification of acceptance or rejection to the student’s parent/guardian on or before March 1 for open enrollment transfer requests and within two weeks of receipt of the late/provisional enrollment transfer request.

Special Program Permit Applications Students accepted into the SALTA magnet program for advanced learners do not need to fill out Open Enrollment permits. The same is true for students who are newly enrolled in Dual-Language immersion programs. But once immersion students advance from elementary to middle school and from middle to high school, they will need to fill out Open Enrollment permits if they wish to attend an out-of-boundary school. Those permits are handled through a separate process by the Instructional Supports Department.