At the end of the Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018 tourney, the team from Mount Jordan Middle, coached by Stephen Gordon, ended Midvale Middle’s five-year win streak at the annual competition for the district’s best teen players of the Royal Game.
The Midvale Trojans finished in second place. Third place was captured by the Butler Middle Bruins. All eight Canyons District middle schools fielded teams for the contest.
Union Middle Assistant Principal Taylor Hansen, who is overseeing the middle school intramurals competitions this year, said the competitors were well-prepared and displayed exemplary sportsmanship. “There was spirited competition during each round and on every board,” Hansen said.
The following are individual board winners:
- 1st Board: Midvale Middle’s Conner Nelson
- 2nd Board: Mount Jordan Middle’s Asiah Collinson
- 3rd Board: Midvale Middle’s Cooper Nelson
- 4th Board: Butler Middle’s Jack Baird
- 5th Board: (Tie) Mount Jordan’s Oliver Page and Midvale Middle’s Jason Mun
- 6th Board: Mount Jordan’s Alan Zamora
The CSD middle-school intramural contests were created in 2009 to encourage sixth- through eighth-grade student participation in athletic and extracurricular competitions. The District also sponsors a cross-country meet, a 3-on-3 hoops tournament and a soccer championship.