I understand the School Choice application window opens on Dec. 1, but our child was previously approved to attend a non-boundary school. Do we need to complete another application?

Generally, the answer is no. Once a school administrator approves a transfer permit, the permit will renew automatically every year thereafter as long as the student remains at the same school and their permit is not revoked. Permits, however, must be renewed when a student advances from elementary to middle school or from middle school to high school. OF SPECIAL NOTE: Students enrolled in a Dual Language Immersion Program, or SALTA magnet program for advanced learners do not need to fill out School Choice Open Enrollment permits. Once Dual Language Immersion students advance from elementary to middle school and from middle to high school, they must complete Intent to Continue forms through a separate process, which indicate whether they’d like to continue their language studies at the school into which their current school feeds. For example, Butler Elementary feeds into Butler Middle School. Immersion students may also apply to attend a school outside of their current feeder system, and those applications are approved on a space-available basis. Still have questions? You can find more information about School Choice applications on the Planning and Enrollment Department’s web page, and answers about Intent to Continue forms on the Instructional Supports Department’s web page.
Read 5479 times